What is fish amoxicillin used for? Many people use amoxicillin to treat bacterial infections, but fish can benefit from their own amoxicillin. Some diseases that fish amoxicillin can treat include red pest and dropsy. To learn more, read this quick guide that explores the next question, “What does amoxicillin treat in fish?”.
Red pest disease is caused by polluted water that weakens the fish, making it vulnerable to bacterial infections. The main symptom of this disease is red spots on the body. However, in darker fish, these spots aren’t always visible. Some other symptoms include clamped fins and mucus on the body. It’s not always easy to find fish with this disease because they often hide when they’re sick, so be sure to look for sick fish behind aquarium objects.
Here are some ways to treat red pest:
Sick Bay Method
- Put the goldfish into the sick bay.
- For every gallon of water, add five teaspoons of non-iodized salt.
- Add bacterial medication.
- After you stop seeing signs of disease, reduce the medication doses during each water change.
- Only feed the fish live food.
- Clean out the aquarium or pond thoroughly.
- Put the fish back into the aquarium or pond.
- 5% Methylene Blue
- 5% Malachite Green
- Amoxicillin fish treatment dose for fish: 250-mg tablet per 10 gallons of water or 500-mg tablet per 20 gallons
(Only administer amoxicillin for five to 10 days.)
Like red pest disease, dropsy is caused by water pollution, a bacterial infection, and a weak immune system. Some other causes include malnutrition and the wrong water temperature for your fish breed.
A fish with dropsy stops eating and isolates itself. After a few days, it starts to bloat. Other symptoms of dropsy include bulging eyes, a swollen anus, and pale gills that stick out. Here are a few ways to treat dropsy:
- Quarantine your sick fish so that it won’t infect other fish.
- For every gallon of water, add one teaspoon of salt to the infected fish’s container.
- Make sure your fish gets a healthy diet.
- Add API Melafix to your aquarium.
- Add an antibacterial medication such as amoxicillin.
Hopefully, this quick guide clearly answers the question, “What does amoxicillin treat in fish?”. The keys to having healthy fish include proper tank cleanliness, regular water changes, correct water temperature, healthy nutrition, and antibiotics. It’s very important to treat infections early so that they don’t become severe or lead to death. Check out our collection of fish amoxicillin at eFishMox!